888-772-3001 (Toll Free)
PETER K. HWANG
Peter K. Hwang is one of the founding partners of Sung Hwang & Kim LLP. He represents companies and individuals in a wide array of litigation matters. Mr. Hwang's cases have involved a wide range of substantive areas, including intellectual property, fraud, banking, securities, construction, employment, personal injury, and insurance, in various state and federal courts. Prior to co-founding Sung Hwang & Kim LLP, Mr. Hwang was an associate at the Washington, D.C. offices of Baker Botts LLP. At Baker Botts, Mr. Hwang worked primarily on white-collar, securities, and general civil litigation matters. He represented clients in investigations conducted by the Department of Justice and Securities and Exchange Commission, shareholder derivative and class action suits, and various other civil litigation matters in state and federal courts throughout the country.
- Successfully represented Hanwha General Insurance Co., Ltd. in a Texas federal court (S.D. Tex.) as lead counsel in a lawsuit seeking damages in excess of $60,000,000.00 in a dispute over policies reinsuring payments made for the construction of large sea vessels.
- Obtained a take-nothing dismissal from the Korea Resolution and Collection Corporation, a division of the Korea Deposit Insurance Corporation, of claims against the firm’s clients totaling $5,796,653.91 after defeating plaintiff’s motion for summary judgment as lead counsel.
- Won a motion to dismiss in Maryland federal court (D. Md.) as lead counsel representing business against claims alleging violations of the Fair Labor Standards Act.
- Won a take-nothing defense verdict after trial on claims of fraud against a textile restoration company as lead counsel.
- Successfully represented various companies based in South Korea in trademark opposition proceedings before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board.
- Won summary judgment against claims for personal injuries against a Korean-owned Baltimore City store as lead counsel.
- Won a motion to dismiss as lead counsel resulting in the dismissal of a wrongful termination claim and obtained a take-nothing dismissal of remaining defamation claim.
- Defended company based in South Korea in Utah federal court (D. Utah) as lead counsel against claims including breach of contract regarding a dispute over intellectual property.
- Defended two members of the U.S. Marine Corps, two members of the U.S. Air Force and another individual as lead counsel in a $12,000,000.00 civil suit alleging sexual assault, among other things. Case settled after extensive discovery but before trial with each individual paying only $3,000.
- Represented church members as lead counsel in a derivative suit seeking equal access to a church, among other things, from a pastor purporting to be the sole trustee of the church and purporting to have support from a religious hierarchy and other members of the church congregation. Won contested motion for temporary restraining order and obtained court’s confirmation of subsequently-granted arbitration award providing for equal access to and ownership of church property, among other things, despite objections on First Amendment grounds.
Áreas de Práctica
- American University, Washington College of Law, Washington, District of Columbia
- The Johns Hopkins University
- Baker Botts LLP, Associate